Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

About Sunbeam Developmental Resource Centre (SDRC)

What is SDRC?

SDRC offers a range of professional and support services to individuals of all ages with a developmental disability and/or autism spectrum disorder (ASD). The organization assists individuals and their caregivers in accessing community services and supports.

Where are your offices located?

Click here do discover our office locations, hours of operation and contact numbers.

What is SDRC’s relationship to Sunbeam Community & Developmental Services?

SDRC is a division of Sunbeam Community & Developmental Services in Kitchener, Ontario. Sunbeam provides the governance structure and central administration supports of SDRC. For more information on Sunbeam Community & Developmental Services, please visit

About Our Programs and Services

What Programs and Services does SDRC offer directly?

SDRC offers clinical and support services. Most SDRC services are available to children with a developmental disability and/or autism spectrum disorder (ASD) and adults with a developmental disability; although adults wishing to access developmental services and supports must first go through Developmental Services Ontario Central West Region (DSO). DSO provides intake and access to developmental services for adults (age 18 and older).

Do your Clinical Consultants provide advice to schools?

The primary focus of SDRC Clinical Consultants is with clients in their home. Clinical reports are provided to guardians, who may, if they wish, share reports with school or other service providers. Some suggestions/recommendations made by clinicians may be appropriate for home, community and school environments.

About Other Support Services

What is Special Services At Home (SSAH) and how can I apply?

SSAH is a program for children and adults with a developmental disability and children with a physical disability who are residents of Ontario. SSAH for children is accessed through Extend a Family Waterloo, while SSAH for Adults has now merged with the PASSPORT Program and is accessed through Developmental Services Ontario Central West Region (DSO).

What is Assistance for Children with Severe Disabilities (ACSD) and how do I apply?

ACSD is a financial support program for low and modest income families who have children with special needs who live at home. The program helps parents with the costs that apply to their child’s disability, e.g., travel to doctors or hospitals, special shoes/braces, parental relief, wheelchair repairs. For more information and applications, go to Ministry of Children Community & Social Services.

What is the Ontario Disabilities Support Program (ODSP) and how do I apply?

ODSP is an income support plan for adults (over 18 years of age) with disabilities. It pays for certain costs, e.g., medications and dental work; and also offers employment supports and payments. For more information and applications, go to the Ministry of Children, Community & Social Services website.

What is the Disability Tax Credit?

The Disability Tax Credit is a non-refundable income tax credit that reduces the amount of income tax that an eligible individual must pay. If you have a child with a diagnosed disability, you may be eligible for this credit. Revenue Canada (RCA) Form T-2201 needs to be obtained from your local RCA office and completed by a qualified professional. For more information go to

What is the Child Disability Benefit?

The Child Disability Benefit is a nontaxable supplement to the Canada Child Benefit (CCB). It provides financial assistance to families of low and modest income to help with the costs of raising a child (under 18 years of age) who have a severe and prolonged mental or physical impairment. For more information go to

What is SDRC’s catchment area?

SDRC serves individuals who live within the geographical boundary of the Region of Waterloo. For certain services; i.e., Transitional Age Youth, clients may also come from Wellington, Dufferin, Halton and Peel Counties.

For adults with developmental disabilities, you may contact the local office of the Ministry of Children, Community & Social Services or your local Developmental Services Ontario agency.

For children with developmental disabilities, who live outside our catchment area, you may contact the local office of the Ministry of Children, Community & Social Services.

In areas surrounding Waterloo Region, you can contact:

Perth, Oxford or Middlesex Counties

Community Services Coordination Network

Brant County

Contact Brant

Hamilton-Wentworth Counties

Contact Hamilton

How do I know if I’m eligible for developmental services and supports?

If a potential client is under age 18, eligibility is determined by SDRC. An applicant must have an intellectual disability and/or an autism spectrum disorder. SDRC generally seeks evidence of this diagnosis, as provided by a psychological assessment or equivalent medical documentation. For more information, click here to determine your eligibility.

If a potential client is 18 years or older, Developmental Services Ontario Central West Region will determine eligibility for services. Applicants must provide evidence of a developmental disability (normally a psychological assessment).

How do I make a referral?

To make a referral, individuals, parents, or guardians can submit a referral electronically or by mail or fax.  A third party can also facilitate a referral on behalf of an individual, parent or guardian as long as they have obtained consent to do so.  For more information, click here to learn about SDRC’s referral options.

What services can I access through SDRC?

Services that can be accessed through SDRC include consultation in the areas of behaviour, speech and language, health care, counselling, autism services, service coordination, service resolution, Applied Behaviour Analysis, residential supports, respite supports, and community participation supports.

Is there a fee for SDRC services?

SDRC is funded by the Ministry of Children, Community and Social Services, and there is no fee for services provided. There may be costs associated with respite services or community participation services that are arranged by SDRC but provided by other developmental service agencies.


Brightside ABA Services do have a fee attached.  For more information, please visit their website at

About consent and confidentiality

What is SDRC’s policy on the confidentiality of the information I provide?

SDRC adheres to Federal and Provincial privacy legislation in this area. For more information, click here to read our Privacy Policy.

What type of information does SDRC collect?

SDRC collects personal information such as name, date of birth, address, family contacts and historical/current information such as:

  • Diagnoses and cognitive/developmental needs
  • Health and medical information
  • Early childhood and social history
  • Behavioural/emotional/psychological needs
  • Independent living skills
  • Vocational or work-related skills
  • Other agency involvement
  • Other information relevant for referral purposes including that held by other agencies.

How does SDRC use the information I provide?

SDRC uses the information it collects in several ways:

  • To establish eligibility for developmental services
  • To allow our team to provide appropriate services
  • To make referrals to other agencies for services
  • To manage wait list information
  • For quality assurance activities
  • To comply with legal or regulatory requirements.

Who signs consents for me?

SDRC typically seeks self-consent from individuals who are 16 years of age or older; but accepts consent from a person who has been designated the legal guardian. For individuals under age 16, we will seek consent from a parent or guardian. Signed consents are valid for a twelve-month period and may be withdrawn in writing at any time.

Would SDRC ever release my information without my consent?

In general no; but there are situations where SDRC has a legal responsibility to release information with or without your consent. These situations include:

  • Where the protection of an individual from neglect or physical/emotional/sexual abuse is a potential issue.
  • Where our records are subpoenaed.
  • Where the Ministry of Children, Community & Social Services requests to see our records.
  • Where there is a duty to warn.
  • Where a communicable disease must be reported to the Chief Medical Officer of Health.
  • Where there are reasonable grounds to believe that a health care professional has abused a client.
  • Where a physician’s care or treatment in under investigation by the College of Physicians & Surgeons.
  • Where a coroner is investigating the death of an individual.
  • Where a legal assessor is evaluating an individual’s ‘capacity’.
  • Where the Ontario Public Guardian and Trustee is investigating an allegation of adverse harm.